The National, Wednesday July 10th, 2013
AN investigation team in Western Highlands has collected statements from new witnesses to reopen the arson case on the burning of the Jiwaka regional seat ballot papers.
The ballot papers were burnt at around 3am on Sept 21 last year.
Officer in-charge of the criminal investigation division in the Highlands region Chief Insp Mazuc Rubiang yesterday said he had collected statements from six new witnesses and called for more witnesses to come forward.
The committal court in Mt Hagen dismissed arson charges against Paul Kes Kaman, John Lepa Mangi, Michael Tau Kenzie, Thomson Tolai Kauke, James Bombie, Otto Du Mong and Korki Pup last Friday.
The court earlier discharged three others – Andrew Mangi, Morris Millen and Martin Tongamp – due to lack of evidence.
“I am now working to get the accused set free by the court to go back to court on the same charges,” Rubiang said.
He said the investigation team would make sure that people who took the law into their own hands faced the law.
“I am now appealing to the people of Jiwaka to assist if they have any information in relation to the burning of the ballot papers,” he said.