The National, Thursday 05th July, 2012
POLICE security will be beefed up in West New Britain province during counting, New Guinea Islands police chief Supt Anton Billie says.
Billie dismissed rumours of a firearms build-up in the province and has instructed Chief Insp Samson Siguyaru to warn candidates and their supporters that police will not tolerate any trouble during counting.
He said there was surplus manpower on standby that would be used to contain any trouble arising.
He said supporters and candidates planning illegal activities should think twice.
Billie said Deputy Police Commissioner Simon Kauba had been told of the situation.
Polling has been completed in West New Britain, with all ballot boxes locked up at the Kimbe police station ready for counting on Saturday.
He commended the province for keeping the peace in the past few weeks and gave credit to the public, candidates and their supporters.
Billie raised concerns with media personnel for not making the attempt to verify facts in their stories and causing unnecessary fear among the public.
Billie said counting in Manus was progressing well without any major security problems faced.
That was the same for East New Britain and New Ireland. Despite minor hiccups, provinces in the region were peaceful and orderly during polling.