Bomana getaway driver arrested

National, Normal

THE driver of the vehicle used in Tuesday’s breakout from the maximum security Bomana prison breakout has been arrested.
The vehicle was also found abandoned, and has been impounded by police.
The person arrested is being questioned by police in the hope that it can lead to the whereabouts of the 12 “high-risk” escapees.
NCD police chief of operations Supt Andy Bawa told The National yesterday that a reward would be given to anyone who could provide information leading to the recapture of the escapes.
He, however, declined to state the amount.
Supt Bawa said the escapees were “not good people to have in the community” and urged the people to help police track them down.
“For the safety and well-being of each of us in the community, it is vital to ensure these 12 escapees are put back behind bars.”
Anyone with information can contact the Boroko police station’s command centre (ph: 341 3940, 341 3941 and 341 3944).
He did not give further details of the person arrested, where he was arrested, and whether he owned the vehicle that was used.
This information is still being investigated.
The getaway vehicle was found abandoned at Sogeri on the outskirts of Port Moresby.
The double-cabin car, recovered on Wednesday, was believed to have been hired, said Central province commander Chief Supt Awan Sete yesterday afternoon.
Police have yet to recapture any of the 12 fugitives who included bank robber William Kapris and serial rapist James Pari.
But Chief Supt Sete said: “We are working on certain leads from our intelligence sources.
“The vehicle that was used in the escape is now with the police forensic unit,” he said.
He said the Momase divisional commander and his men were also on the alert of the escapees.
In an unrelated case, a decomposed body was found half buried from the waist to his feet in Kivori Poi last week.
Police and medical officers retrieved the body following reports from female villagers.
The women were on their way to their gardens when dogs fighting attracted their attention.
The remains of the 35-year-old from Kivori-poi went missing during the New Year.
He is survived by his wife and child.