The National, Monday 05th December 2011
BODIES of four casualties in the ethnic violence in Lae last month have been repatriated to their villages in the Highlands region.
The victims were identified as a man from Watabum, a man and a woman from Henganofi, Eastern Highlands, and the fourth was from Chimbu.
Lae settlements peace and good order committee deputy chairman Paul Pora made the announcement last Saturday to displaced settlers from the Highlands region at the makeshift
Igam care centre.
Pora acknowledged the support of the Morobe provincial government through the peace and good order committee, which it set up in the wake of Lae being declared a fighting zone a month ago.
The bodies were repatriated between Monday and Friday from the Angau Memorial General Hospital morgue.
Pora said it was the first time the provincial government had prioritised such an exercise.
He thanked Governor Luther Wenge and committee chairman Joshua Haggai for their input.
His committee, comprising community leaders from different backgrounds in the settlements, has been recognised by Wenge and Haggai and has pledged to work towards restoring peace in the city.
The group, which met with the displaced settlers, said it would continue to coordinate and bring help and
relief supplies from concerned citizens.