The National – Monday, February 14, 2011
EAST New Britain will not be able to accommodate the expected 12,000 participants who will flock into the province for PNG games in 2012
This is due to insufficient funds and resources, and a lack of facilities in the province.
The host organising committee, headed by Sir Rabbie Namaliu, was encouraged to look ahead despite lack of funds and resources in the province
“Time is against us, however I urge the committee not to look back but to plan ahead and start small,” Governor Leo Dion said, when addressing the committee in a meeting in Kokopo last week.
The provincial government presented a proposal to the national government outlining the facilities requiring financial assistance and the time frame requiring assistance however, there has not been any formal response
“In terms of logistics, we don’t want to end up with a logistical nightmare,” Sir Rabbie said.
He added that the expected number of participants was likely to drop to a manageable number in terms of accommodation, transportation and sporting facilities in the province.