THE dysentery and flu outbreak in Menyamya has been detected in a new area between Aseki in Morobe province and Kaintiba in Gulf province.
According to reports reaching the Menyamya task force designated to contain the outbreak, 394 fresh cases of the two diseases have been diagnosed.
Six deaths have been recorded – four from dysentery and two from flu complications.
Patients in the four villages in the Yangayu area were diagnosed with 189 dysentery and 205 flu cases.
But the general situation in the affected Kome and Wapi local level government area in Menyamya has been contained and under control, according to the task force.
The newly affected area shares its borders with Nanima-Kareba, Wapi and the Kaintiba LLG areas.
Menyamya emergency task force coordinator Micah Yawing had sent two teams last Tuesday into Yangayu to assess the situation and report back to him.
Meanwhile, the rest of the teams were assigned to carry out basic awareness on improving health and sanitation, with support from the PNGDF medical team.
“People must be educated to take ownership and responsibility to look after personal and family health and sanitation in their communities as a lasting solution,” Mr Yawing said. “After 14 days of tireless effort combating dysentery and influenza in Menyamya district, the situation is contained and under control,” Mr Yawing said.
So far, a total of 14 health teams has embarked on personal and community health and hygiene awareness to educate the 21 affected areas from last Monday, starting at the Menyamya station.
The focus will be on the worst affected and densely populated Hakwange area that comprises the three ward areas of Kenali, Helolpa and Wanangapali.
The affected people will be educated on how to protect cooking and drinking water sources, water treatment, personal and family hygiene, use of proper pit latrines and to keep pigs fenced away from water sources and villages.