Police stop firecrackers at border

National

By CLIFFORD FAIPARIK
WEST Sepik police have confiscated about 720,000 Indonesian-made firecrackers that were taken into Vanimo across the Indonesian border, provincial police commander Chief Inspector Moses Ibsagi says.
“We have confiscated 720,480 of these firecrackers from three suspects while conducting our security operation along the border for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summits,” he said.
“The suspects have been charged under section 14 of the Explosive Act for possession of illegal explosives.
“They are now on K250 bail each and will appear before the Vanimo District Court next week.”
Ibsagi said they were on alert because it was common to see firecrackers coming across the border at this time because of approaching festive season.
“These firecrackers are in high demand throughout PNG to celebrate Christmas and New Year,” he said.
Ibsagi said the suspects were trying to take the firecrackers to East Sepik when they were arrested in Vanimo on Sunday.
“We arrested two suspects last week also for possession of firecrackers. They were about to board the plane to Wewak when we arrested them.”
Meanwhile, East Sepik police commander Superintendent Robert Gesa said they confiscated five boxes of firecrackers from a suspect.
“The suspect had brought the firecrackers from Vanimo and came to Wewak on a dinghy,” he said.

Leave a Reply