Q-Cup season cancelled

Sports

THE SP Hunters’ campaign came to an abrupt end on Friday after Queensland Rugby League decided to cancel the Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season over the global coronavirus pandemic.
The unprecedented decision to bring a premature close to the Intrust Super Cup was made in the interests of the health and safety of players and staff.
QRL managing director Robert Moore in a statement acknowledged the enormity of the decision, which comes after the initial move to suspend the competitions after round one earlier this month.
Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) chief executive Reatau Rau said a statement would be released early this week after consultations were held with all their stakeholders and partners regarding the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored side.
“It is a heartbreaking decision for the rugby league community in PNG and abroad, including our valued partners and sponsors, but it’s a call that had to be made given the current circumstances,” he said in a statement.
“As soon as we have had discussions with our partners and stakeholders, a statement will be released during the week regarding the Hunters players and staff.”
Meanwhile, the Hunters complete their 14-day isolation on Wednesday as a precautionary measure following their return from Australia after their 32-30 round-one win over the Souths Logan Magpies at Davies Park in Brisbane.
It is understood that if Papua New Guinea’s premier rugby league competition does go ahead this year, the Hunters will join Digicel Cup sides to keep fit until the next ISC season.
According to the PNGRFL, the fate of the Digicel Cup season now depends on the advice from the Government and other relevant authorities, including the Health Department.

Leave a Reply