Acting court clerk Serah Amet told The National yesterday that the warrant was issued straight after the case was adjourned by Magistrate Tracy Ganaii before noon on Tuesday, and not at 3pm as stated by police.
“The court clerks do the warrants, not police. So right after the case was adjourned, I went in and got the files and came out and did the warrant and issued it.
“So the warrant was issued to them in the morning (on Tuesday),” she said.
Kaiwi is facing a wilful murder charge in relation to the death of his wife Jenelyn Kennedy at their home in Port Moresby last week.
Magistrate Ganaii ordered that he be remanded at the Bomana Prison to await his next court appearance on July 30.
But police took Kaiwi back to the Boroko police station where he spent another night before taking him to Bomana on Wednesday morning.
National Capital District Metropolitan Superintendent Perou N’dranou said they could not take Kaiwi on Tuesday as the court had instructed because they only received the remand warrant from the court at 3pm.
By then prison authorities had closed the gates to new admissions.
Family of dead rugby player urge men to speak out too
By SAMUEL BARIASI
THE family of Ishmael Indipi, a rugby player from Ialibu, Southern Highlands, alledgedly stabbed to death by his girlfriend two years ago, joined the march against violence in Port Moresby yesterday.
Family spokesperson Shamilah Kari said they were there to support men who had experienced violence from their female partners.
“Everybody is advocating for women, but we would like to show our support for men as well,” she told The National.
Indipi, 24, was playing with the Harlequins rugby team in Port Moresby when he was killed.
“Our brother’s case has gone cold and we have not heard anything about itis case.”
She said the family had no idea whether the girlfriend was in prison or outside.
“What we heard is that there is going to be another court hearing this month about his case,” Kari said.
She said the family’s message to men was that they should come out and speak about the pressures they experience with their partners.
“Women easily come out and talk about their problems so they release their pressure. But men are known to store their problems and resort to violence when they cannot contain their anger.”
Kari said she believed people chose to be violent not because of the way they were brought up.
“It’s their own choice. It has got nothing to do with the type of society they live in. We should have more institutions that provide mental health services for our men and boys to get them to express themselves and free their minds from pressures,” Kari said.
Disappointment as crowd barred from vigil
By Rebecca Kuku
HUNDREDS of people who braved the heat to take part in a peaceful protest against gender-based violence were disappointed to be later shut out of a vigil for the late Jenelyn Kennedy.
They were told that the vigil at Sir John Guise Indoor Complex Stadium attended by Prime Minister James Marape was only for VIPs, MPs and non-government organisations.
Susan Timo, 46, said it was very frustrating to see people barred from the vigil.
“We gathered as early as 9am at the Unagi Oval and walked to Parliament, then walked all the way here (stadium) only to have the door shut on us.”
James Sua, 42, described it as a big let-down for the people who had come from all parts of Port Moresby to support a worthy cause.
“I was happy to see youths from my community walking. These young men are perpetrators of gender-based violence. Seeing late Jenelyn’s body in the front page of The National newspaper just changed their thinking.
“They realised that one day it could be them and their wives. So for them to come all the way here and to be shut out is a big disappointment.”
Evelyn Kura, 32, said it was a shame that Solomon Kantha’s good initiative was spoiled by the organisers who only wanted VIPs to enter.
“What’s the point? Out here are the survivors of gender-based violence. We are the mothers who have and continue to live in violence-filled homes.
“Today was our day to have our voices heard but instead we were shut out,” she said.
Hospital workers observe 2 minutes of silence
By LULU MARK
CAREGIVERS at the Port Moresby General Hospital dealing with patients admitted for violence-related issues joined the campaign against gender-based violence yesterday.
Chief executive officer Dr Paki Molumi said the hospital was calling for justice to be served on the late Jenelyn Kennedy and all women who were victims of gender-based violence.
Doctors, nurses and staff dressed in black congregated at three sites in the hospital premises to observe a two-minute silence as a mark of solidarity against gender-based violence.
“Two minutes of our time outside in black is to show our support for the cause,” Molumi said.
“We cannot participate in the campaigns or marches because we have to stay at the hospital to look after our patients. Justice must be served to prevent GBV.
“Only then when justice is done then we can see some improvement, otherwise we will continue to take this as normal violence against women and girls will continue.”
Hospital board chairperson Kathy Johnston urged the Government to review legislations and policies regarding gender-based violence.
She said every time the people called on the Government to do something, the response would only be for a short period before it was forgotten.
She said what happened to Jenelyn who lost her life while still 19 should not have happened in a Christian country such as PNG.
“The thing that we really need to do is awareness. We don’t have enough awareness and education on GBV.”