Senior journalist Hriehwazi dies

Main Stories, National

The National, Monday 09th January 2012

THE PNG media fraternity has lost one of its most senior and illustrious journalists.
Yehiura Hriehwazi, 49, of Yangoru, East Sepik province, died from heart attack at the Port Moresby General Hospital at about 1.30am yesterday, a passing that has shocked relatives, friends, colleagues and acquaintances throughout the country.
He was the Business Editor of The National newspaper at the time of his death. He had held many senior positions in newspaper and public relations jobs in a career which spanned 30 years. He had served as editor-in-chief of The National and as editor of the Post-Courier in 2011.
The National’s Editor-in-Chief Frank Senge Kolma yesterday expressed sympathy on behalf of staff and management of the company, adding that they were deeply saddened by Hriehwazi’s passing.
According to his family, Hriehwazi had complained of chest pains early on Saturday and sought medical attention at the Sir Buri Kidu Heart Foundation at the Port Moresby General Hospital but returned home when he found it closed. He was taken back to the hospital at 11pm when his condition worsened and succumbed to a severe heart attack over two hours later while being attended to at the emergency ward.
A large number of relatives and friends turned up at his Tokarara residence to pay respect as early as 6am when they learned of his death. His body has been taken to the Funeral Homes to await funeral arrangements and transportation to his home village.
Hriehwazi is survived by his wife, Eka, and their four children.
A spokesperson for the family said Hriehwazi’s sudden passing left a big vacuum because, though the third-born in a large family of 18 children, he was the eldest of ten boys and was looked upon as the family leader.
“All of our family members here in Port Moresby, at home in Yangoru and throughout the country are shocked and at a loss to comprehend the sudden passing of our eldest brother whom we had looked upon as the family leader and mentor,” brother Andrew said yesterday.
“We held him in high esteem and were proud of his progress and achievements as a respected PNG journalist. We didn’t expect him to die at such an age and time when he was full of energy and good health and had continued to take on his family and professional responsibilities with zest and commitment.”
Andrew said a haus krai had been set up at the Tokarara family residence, past the local clinic. An advise on the funeral arrangements would be published in the media.