Southern nines tourney kicks off on high note

Normal, Sports

The National – Monday, December 6, 2010

THE 2010 Southern Regional Alphonse Moroi Cup kicked off yesterday at the Lloyd Robson Oval and Sir Hubert Murray Stadium.
A total of 84 teams took part in the competition making it one of the biggest tournament ever played in the country.
With a total of 21 pools of four teams each, the tournament saw defending champions Gavuones LB Tornadoes starting their campaign on a high note beating Lalokau Dolphins 10-0 yesterday.
Tornadoes sunk former champions Rovanama 20-12 in last year’s cup grand final which also ended their five year drought in the tournament and yesterday was no different as they ran in two unanswered tries to keep their title defense alive.
Tournament director and sports administrators, Ivan Ravu confirmed that this year’s tournament was the biggest with 84 teams which would also give opportunities for more teams to go into the play-offs on Friday.
The six-day tournament is set to attract thousands of people from all over the nation’s capital and Central villages and has become one of the major events so far in the sporting calendar of the Papuan region.
Ravu said all teams would be given three games each with the top 16 teams to enter into the Cup play-offs.
In the other games Boera Sailors went down to Baruoro Pythons 18-12, Gavuone Bullets beat HI-CO Kwikila 12-4, Egala Auna defeated Abadi Panthers 18-12, Baruni Eagles pipped Alepa Kwaivas 16-14, Buria Reds outclassed Central Gulf 18-8, Central Waga Hots ran over Waraone Pelagai 10-4, Baruni Sea Eagles defeated Dominta KK Cowboys 8-0, Gaivakala out-muscled Gabagaba 16-8 while Maopa KR also made their presence felt with a 14-4 victory over Gaire.
Hula and Central drew 4-4 while the Gavuone Stones beat Hisui Knights 8-6, Inau Aia beat Kema Bolo 10-6, Lakwaharu defeated Kimo Eels Kapari 14-8 and GB Bulldogs and Vewal Force sneaked an easy two points by forfeiting Kar Marshall and Bereina 20-0 respectively.
Meanwhile, the results at the Sir Hubert Murray Stadium were not available in time for print but the game continues today.