Special orientation for teachers

Education

A special orientation programme was conducted in Port Moresby for 20 teachers selected to continue their education through flexible and open distance education (Fode) last Tuesday.
The teachers are from Digicel Foundation’s community learning centres (CLCs) in the National Capital District, Gulf and Central.
It is an initiative of the foundation, in partnership with Department of Education and 4L Training and Consultants, to enrol these teachers in Fode centres.
The foundation believes that through Fode, these teachers can be able to attain their grade 12 certificate and be eligible to apply to teachers’ colleges.
Chief operations officer Adi Anaseini Vesikula says most of the teachers attached with CLCs were grade 10 dropouts.
Despite their passion and efforts in teaching, they cannot be recognised and put on government payroll.
“The teachers have shown dedication and hard work in helping little kids in marginalised communities to learn how to read and write,” Vesikula said.
“To show our appreciation, we would like to push them a step higher by giving them the opportunity to learn through Fode so they will reach their maximum potential.”
The foundation will pay 70 per cent of course fees and the other 30 per cent will be met by teachers themselves.

Leave a Reply